- 375g flour
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon mixed spices
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 200-220ml water
- 2 onions, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 500g feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- To prepare the pastry: Combine the flour, yeast, spices, salt and pepper. Add the oil and rub the mixture together with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add just enough water to form a dough. Knead until smooth. Set aside, covered, in a warm place for 1 hour.
- To make the filling: Saute the onions with a little oil until translucent. Combine with the cheese and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To assemble: Roll dough out on a lightly-floured surface to 3mm-thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut out circles of about 8-10cm diameter. Place a tablespoon of filling in the centre of each circle and fold the circle in half. Seal by pressing the edges together. Pinch the edges to form a scalloped pattern. Heat the oil and deep fry the sambousek until golden. Serve hot.