- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon madras curry paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 2 red chilies, chopped
- 1 chicken, skinned and cut into 8 pieces
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 curry leaves
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Curry powder:
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- To make the curry powder, roast and grind all the spices. Mix 2 tablespoons of the curry powder with the turmeric and curry paste. Add 2 tablespoons water and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based saucepan and fry the chopped onion, garlic, ginger and chilies until golden brown. Add the curry mixture and fry for 3 minutes, stirring constantly to ensure that the mixture does not burn. Add the chicken pieces to the saucepan and turn them so that they are thoroughly coated with the spice mixture.
- Add the tomatoes and curry leaves and cook for 1 minutes, then add the potatoes and 1/2 cup water. Cover the saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir the curry during the cooking. Serve immediately with rice or roti.